DC Federal Sex Crimes Lawyer
Being charged with a sex offense can be intimidating and difficult moving forward. If you are accused, a DC federal sex crimes lawyer can protect your rights during an investigation and can vigorously defend you against criminal charges. An experienced federal defense attorney can begin building your case as soon as possible.
Defining Federal Sex Crimes
Often, sex crime cases are handled by local district courts. Rape and sexual assault, for example, would typically be prosecuted in the Superior Court of DC.
However, there are several sex offenses that fall under federal jurisdiction for one reason or another. Typically, a sex crime becomes a federal offense if it involves interstate commerce, distribution, or transportation. A crime also falls under the jurisdiction of the US government if it occurs on federal property or tribal land.
Examples of Offenses
The following offenses are frequently prosecuted as federal sex crimes:
- Child pornography – Possession, production, and distribution of child pornography frequently involve interstate transmission, either through the US Postal Service or through internet file sharing
- Human trafficking – Human trafficking often involves transportation of people—including minors—across state lines to engage in prostitution
- Transportation of minors – It is a federal sex crime to transport minors across state lines for the purpose of prostitution or to engage in illegal sexual activity. This statute also forbids travel with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct in other countries, or sex tourism.
- Aggravated sexual abuse – Federal law allows for the prosecution of rape and other sex crimes when the acts occur on federal property. Aggravated sexual abuse of children occurs when a person travels across state lines with the intent of engaging in a sex act with a child under 12, engages in a sex act with a child under 12 or a child under 16 who is at least 4 years younger than the perpetrator, or attempts to do any of the above.
Federal sex crime convictions may bring penalties that include decades in prison and sex offender registration. However, an accusation or indictment does not mean a person is guilty. The federal government has the burden of proving guilt. A DC federal sex crimes attorney is by their client’s side to fight for them.
Working with an Attorney
Often, those accused of sex crimes are immediately viewed with suspicion. Sometimes, a person may be separated from their own family based on an unproven allegation and before they have a chance to defend against the charges in federal court.
It is important to hire a federal sex crimes attorney as quickly as possible. A lawyer is their client’s advocate throughout the process, helping them ways that reach far beyond their defense in court:
- Handling the police for them so that they do not have to answer questions and risk their words being manipulated
- Negotiating bond or favorable terms of release that do not have unnecessary restrictions
- Preparing them for court hearings so that they can proceed with confidence
- Challenging witness credibility and prosecutorial evidence
- Building a defense strategy that brings their case to its optimal resolution
A sex crime allegation can leave someone feeling shunned, but they are not alone. Experienced DC federal sex crimes lawyers are here to help.